Monday, October 6, 2008

Selections From My Old Stamp Collection


This one is a Wim Crouwel classic




Canada really had a good thing going with their stamps in the 70s and 80s






I recently discovered Grain Edit, a great site that focuses on graphic design from the 50s, 60s and 70s. One of their posts on postage stamps (HERE), inspired me to dig into my childhood stamp collection in search of 1970s golden-age-of-Helvetica style graphic design. The above selections are some of the best of what I have. My collection is not big or very organized. As a kid my interest in stamps was all about graphics, I was never on my way to becoming a real philatelist. I had a similar interest in baseball cards,
I knew nothing of the game, but I liked the uniforms and logos (The Montreal Expos and Houston Astros were my favorites). Colette (Mrs. Projects) has a similar stamp collection from the same era ("Prevent Drug Abuse" is one of hers), I have yet to go though it and weed out the good stuff.

No comments: