Monday, January 14, 2013

Recent Work: Vascular Modes


Vascularis / 2013 / 7 x 3 feet / acrylic, latex house paint on board

I currently have a piece in a group exhibit called Vascular Modes at Hallwalls Contemporary Arts Center in Buffalo. The show has a slightly odd theme, the invited artists were asked to make work that somehow had the newly built Gates Vascular Institute building (below) in Buffalo as a starting point. Part of the idea is that in Buffalo we are often thinking about the architecture of the past, grain elevators, Victorian houses, urban ruins, etc., and this a way to look forward.

I decided to use this as an opportunity to work in a medium that I don't normally use. I made a painting on a blank door that I had in my basement. Normally my art work is tied into a bigger conceptual space, but this is more of a one off, I just wanted to make a colorful piece with a physical presence. 





No comments: