Monday, July 11, 2011

My New Bike






I know this blog is mostly about books but, bikes also take up a big chunk of my brain. And right now I can't stop riding and thinking about riding my new bike. Three weeks ago I bought a complete Surly Cross Check in robin's egg blue. I switched out a number of parts immediately, including the handlebars, tires and saddle, and added long fenders, a rack, bell, etc. I also scratched off all of the Surly logos which, thankfully, Surly makes easy to do (it's a great company but their graphic design is not the best). Down the road there are all sorts of ways I could improve the components, but for the moment I'm very happy with this set up. Aesthetically I would love to have a Brooks saddle on the bike, but unfortunately my body seems to demand an "ergonomic" seat.

This is the bike I intend to use for long day rides and light touring, most of my around town riding is done on my Raleigh One-Way. The longest ride I have been on with this bike is 83 miles, I'm planning a ride to Toronto and back in a couple weeks, and that will be 108 miles each way.

Front Derailleur: Shimano Tiagra, FD-4500 Double
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Tiagra , RD-4500-GS Mid-cage
Crankset:Andel, Forged arms, Silver aluminum, granny ring compatible. 110mm BCD rings, 36 & 48t, ramped & pinned, Black
Bottom Bracket: Shimano , BB-UN54 68 x 113mm
CassetteShimano Tiagra , HG-50 9-speed 12-13-14-15-17-19-21-23-25t
Chain: SRAM PC-971 , 9-speed
Headset: Ritchey Logic Comp, 1-1/8" threadless
Handlebar: Grand Cru Course Handlebar- Classic Round Bend
Brake Levers: Tektro, RL340 standard levers on 52–62cm sizes, RL341 small hand levers on 42–50cm
Brakes: Tektro 992A, Black
Cable Hanger front: Tektro, 1271A
Cable Hanger rear:Surly, Stainless w/adjuster. Silver
Shift Levers: Shimano Bar-end type , SL-BS77. 9-speed
Pedals: MKS Sylvan Touring Pedals
Toe-clips: MKS Deep Steel Toe Clips
Seatpost:Kalloy SP-342 , 27.2 x 300mm. Black
Hubs: Shimano Deore , HB/FH590 32h, 100mm OLD front, 135mm OLD rear
Spokes: DT Swiss , Stainless Steel, 14g/2.0mm w/12mm silver brass nipples
Rims: Alex, DA16. 32h x 700c. Black
Tires: Schwalbe Delta Cruiser HS 392 Bicycle Tire (700x35, SBC Wire Beaded, Cream)
Fenders: Velo Orange Hammered 45mm Fenders 700c
Trunk Bag: Sackville Trunk Sack

No comments: